Saturday, June 18, 2011

Sleep Out



in the cold...



08.06.2011
It was 8 degree Celsius after a hail rain in Melbourne.
I decided to "sleep" on the wet road for a shoot.
It certainly took a lot of courage to wear only a piece of cloth and lie on a wet road in this cold weather.
I took a big breath, took out my big fur coat, and ran to lie on the road when my boyfriend said GO!
Shivering... my left arm and feet were both wet and numb.
Whenever there were cars driving towards me, my boyfriend would shout CAR!
So I quickly got up from the road and ran to the side.
"What was that girl doing lying in the middle of the road in this cold weather?" The drivers wandered.

Surprisingly to know that there is The Vinnies CEO Sleepout in Australia.
More than 155 Melbourne community leaders roughed it to raise money for Australia's 150,000 homeless.
CEO's taking part in the event was given a beanie, a sleeping bag, a sheet of cardboard, a bread roll and a hot drink. It's a great way to raise awareness.
Some homeless people are asking for money in the street, most of them even wrote a cardboard describing their homeless situation.
Sadly to know that some of these homeless people are actually capable to find a job to support themselves.

I've gone through an article about old Melbournians who were born in the 1920s and lived
through the days before central heating and polar fleece.
They said:
Winter's just not what it used to be.
You call this cold? Whinging about the weather?
Imagine there was no heating, if you're cold, just put on CLOTHES and shut the bloody door.
They slept on the balcony and braving cold showers (imagine there were no hot water!).
Playing sport was the only way to warm the body up during the old times.

How good is the life of the generation Y nowadays? At least I have done my Sleepout.

No comments:

Post a Comment